Welcome Home Soldier!

Welcome Home Soldier!

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Giving you a little background

I wanted to use this post to express the meaning of being a Marine and what it means to me. I want to share some of my experiences with you. The reason I decided to focus on the military for my blog is because that is what I feel has influence my life in the most excellent way. Before joining I just graduated high school and couldn’t decide what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. I stumble across an old friend who was an Army reserve. He explained his duties and the respect he has gained for himself after joining. After listening to his words and seeing how passionate he was about the decision he made I decided to look up some information myself. I made an appointment with a recruiter and weighed out all the pros and cons. I didn’t even consult my family when I decided to go forth with joining. I didn’t want to join just any part of the military but instead The United States Marines. I wanted to be on the forefront serving my country and make a man out of myself. It was time to let go of my childhood and embrace being an adult.

After joining and upon entering boot camp, I was hit with the harsh certainty of what molding a Marine consisting of. Numerous training's, obstacle courses, and far away enough from the civilian life a reality dawned on me. 

At first I was scared but never showed it on my face. The first week by far was the worst for me. Eventually I realized in order for me to be the man I wanted to be I have to grab the bull by the horns and ride on. I completed every training giving nothing but my all. I was the best sharp shooter in my platoon, and became to go to person for other members of my platoon who found themselves struggling. I lost 40 lbs during my time in boot camp and gained much stamina.


Upon graduating, I felt accomplished and ready to create new challenges for myself. I had the privilege of being stationed in many different countries and shaking hands with many influential people.


 Being a Marine comes with much respect and creates a lot of opportunities. Nothing comes in comparison to when I served my first deployment in Iraq. I tend to believe everyone has the same preconceived notion when it comes to battle in Iraq. Yes, it isn’t all rainbows and butterflies, but the whole purpose of a Marine training in boot camp is for this exact reason. I was anxious to get this tour out of the way and see what it had in store for me. There are many events that occurred that made me humbly appreciate my life and the path I have 
chosen for myself.

I won't divulge into much detail because my main reason of this post is to have my audience see who I am and maybe give them a better understanding of the purpose for this blog. 


The passion I have for military members in every branch is insurmountable. Risking your well-being to help spread across a better cause for our country is truly the purpose of enlisting and fighting those who try to go against us. I hope my little snippet may influence someone and understand although there are many causalities of war these soldiers are never forgotten. As as we say Hoorah!

7 comments:

  1. Great post. Getting an inside perspective is always interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading this post and seeing the perspective of a Marine. As a former soldier myself, I am fascinated by the Army and especially Marines. I served in the Israel Defense Forces for two years and understand what it is like to go through basic training scared out of your mind, but persevering from pure adrenaline. However, I know Marine experiences are absolutely nothing like what I went through in my basic, and that gives me even more respect for you guys. Your service is valued and admired, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, any form of service is a sacrifice. I'm sure your service is just as important.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for your service, this is a very heartfelt post and your passion really shows true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad your military service was a good experience and improved you as a person. Also I am glad you made it home safe. Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete