Welcome Home Soldier!

Welcome Home Soldier!

Sunday, July 19, 2015

The interview

  I wanted to get some insight on the military through another veterans perspective. So I went on a quest to find a former veteran who has been through the process of being a soldier. From the early stages of  being a recruit to going on their first tour over seas. I had the wonderful opportunity of interviewing a gentleman named Phil Carlos Contreras. He is a former Marine and enlisted straight after high school as myself. He is doing well for himself after being honorable discharged from the Marines for over two years now. He served a 6 year term, and served a tour in Iraq. Below are the questions I asked him:

1   Why did you pick the service branch you joined and what made you decide to enlist?

It was a challenge that I wanted to fulfill since it was a branch that many did not want to join as it seemed to be a top competitive branch. I joined the United States Marine Corps because of my family not feeling as they were Americans when they came to this country, especially when my parents were at work or around many Americans. Joining the military gave me a prideful moment that my parents were now Americans and they can always walk around their work areas honorably that their son is a U.S. Marine.
2   How did your service and experiences affect your life?

It affected my life by opening myself  up to others as I was very shy with an introverted personality. The U.S Marine Corps helped me see who I am and changed the views of many of my family members about joining the military in a positive way.
3   What recommendations can you give a soldier entering into boot camp?

The one recommendation I can give a soldier is to take the fear as a positive sign.  Take each moment as a challenge, embrace it and let it make you stronger. The only person you should worry about is yourself. Also try not to complain about this experience as one day you will want to look back on it and remember the good times. It is always mindful to view everything that you are doing at boot camp is for the sole purpose of becoming part of something bigger in life. Always remember the reason you joined and use that to motivate you.
4 What were some of the most memorable experiences while being deployed?

One of the most memorable experiences that I had while being deployed was when we parked our convoy at night, in the middle of nowhere, in the dessert of Iraq. We stationed a 360 perimeter so we can sleep that night. LCPL Yoon, a very particular guy who was my best friend, laid on a cot next to me as we were trying to fall asleep with the Humvee next to us. Our buddy was on the Humvee turret gun as a security watch. We looked at the stars and just talked for a while about life wondering what we were doing there and then suddenly we began to quietly sing Christina Aguilera’s song in reference to the stars.  It was like, we didn’t care about what was going on around us and the song just made us strangely happy. 
 5   How has your relationship with your significant other/your family been affected by deployments, if at all?
My family and I are still very close, we have been apart for so long that we are now used to the time. It took time to get used to the separation and my parents experienced a lot of anxiety while I was deployed. At times you can say our relationship was strained because there were constantly stressing and worrying about me. As time progressed and I came back home we were able to build back our relationship to where it was at before I left.
 6    What did you go on to do as a career after being discharged?

I took some time off and decided to go to school and finish up my degree first. After I graduated with my Bachelor’s, I began working as an independent contractor and started my own business. There is only 6 men working in my company and two of them are former Marines as well.
7   Is there anything you would like to add that we have not covered in this interview?

Yes, I noticed on your blog you mentioned The Sandbox, I don’t know if many people know this but there is also a book out as well. Someone referred me to this book and at first it must have sat on my nightstand for a month or two until the day I decided to crack it open. When I did I couldn’t seem to put it down. This book had allowed me to make connections within myself and others.
8  Is there any advice that you can give me that I can post on my blog that can help other soldiers or veterans?


One piece of advice that can be helpful is suicidal awareness with other veterans and soldiers. I have met some men and woman who experience deep depression after leaving the military. Any additional support or information that can be provided for these individuals is greatly necessary. Even if you’re a veteran yourself, it is great to reach out and help each other when needed.
Phil brings about some interesting key aspects in his responses. I interviewed him in person and his demeanor described a lot more than just the words written on this post. What struck me the most was when I asked him about a memorable experience while being in the military. He seemed to be at peace, his posture relaxed, as he stared in to the distance and begins to answer the question. As the interview continued and eventually ended, each question aroused different emotions. Being apart of the military is just that, a roller-coaster of events and emotions. I enjoyed getting to hear about another veteran's experience and outcome to becoming a part of the U.S. Armed forces and hope you did to.

No comments:

Post a Comment